History Curriculum Statement
Our history curriculum aims to inspire our pupils’ curiosity to know more about the past. History helps pupils to understand the process of change, the diversity of societies, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
It is built upon the following principles:
· History is about understanding how people’s lives have shaped our nation.
· It is about knowing and understanding significant aspects of history from within living memory and beyond.
· History is about asking perceptive questions and thinking critically.
· Historical enquiry will help children to understand past events
· It will aim to help children gain a historical perspective by placing their growing knowledge into different contexts: understanding the connections between local, regional, national and international history; between cultural, economic,military, political, religious and National Change.
At Manor Field Infant School the history curriculum uses the children’s own lives and environment to make them aware of the passage of time. It will encourage the children to gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. The history curriculum will equip the children to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments, and develop perspective and judgment.
History in our school - Spring
This half-term the learning in Foundation Stage and Year 1 has be driven by a strong history focus. In Foundation Stage in the
project 'Do you think they saurus us?' the children have been learning about dinosaurs. They have learnt about when they existed and the different types of dinosaurs. The children created their own exciting fact-files about dinosaurs. In Year 1 in the project 'To Infinity and Above' the children have been learning about space travel and the historic events of when different astronauts landed on the moon. The children have used the facts they have learnt to write exciting information about the astronauts. Please find below photos of our exciting learning!
Year 2 Autumn 1
During our 'Welcome Aboard' project the children learnt about the historic event 'Titanic'. They learnt about the events leading up to the Titanic, significant passengers/crew and lots of interesting facts!