History Curriculum Statement
Our history curriculum aims to inspire our pupils’ curiosity to know more about the past. History helps pupils to understand the process of change, the diversity of societies, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
It is built upon the following principles:
· History is about understanding how people’s lives have shaped our nation.
· It is about knowing and understanding significant aspects of history from within living memory and beyond.
· History is about asking perceptive questions and thinking critically.
· Historical enquiry will help children to understand past events
· It will aim to help children gain a historical perspective by placing their growing knowledge into different contexts: understanding the connections between local, regional, national and international history; between cultural, economic,military, political, religious and National Change.
At Manor Field Infant School the history curriculum uses the children’s own lives and environment to make them aware of the passage of time. It will encourage the children to gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. The history curriculum will equip the children to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments, and develop perspective and judgment.
This half-term the children have been very busy with their history learning. In Foundation Stage the children have been learning all about dinosaurs and even went on a trip to the 'Natural History Museum' in London! In Year One the children have been looking and comparing toys from the past and toys from the present. For their hook in Year Two the children learnt all about the famous author 'Roald Dahl' and loved writing biographies all about the author. Please see below to see all our famous photographs of our learning.
Autumn 1 Year 1
This half term during our 'All About Us' project the children have been learning about their development from a baby to a child. The children brought in photos of themselves and created a timeline.
Year 2 Autumn 1
During our 'Welcome Aboard' project the children learnt about the historic event 'Titanic'. They learnt about the events leading up to the Titanic, significant passengers/crew and lots of interesting facts!